To date, not a single person has yet been included in the register of oligarchs, the number of potential defendants on the list has decreased, and tracing assets is complicated by hostilities. Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council Alexey Danilov said in an interview UP.
The journalist asked Danilov whether a register of oligarchs would still be created, taking into account conclusions of the Venice Commissionwhich advised putting the law on oligarchs on pause until the end of the war.
Danilov noted that last year there were 86 people who met one of the four criteria of an oligarch. After certain checks, this list has decreased.
The Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council noted that in the conditions of a full-scale war it is difficult to understand what happened to certain assets located in the temporarily occupied territories, and it is difficult to understand what will happen to those assets located on regularly shelled lands.
According to Danilov, today it is more important to talk about something else – about how the “oligarchs” behaved after February 24, 2022. He stressed that there are people who have not left Ukraine for a single day and are helping the state. He declined to give his last names, saying that “it’s personal.” At the same time, according to him, there are those who are now in Monaco, Sardinia, etc.
Answering the question of what will happen to the law on oligarchs and the register, Danilov said: “We are now wasting time, supposedly this is the number one issue for our state.”
He added that it is no longer October and November 2021, and in the context of a full-scale war, “we are already living in a different coordinate system.”
- In September 2021 The Verkhovna Rada adopted a law on oligarchswhich provided for the creation of a special register. Persons from this list will be prohibited from financing political parties, participating in large-scale privatization, and will also be required to submit a special declaration.
- The National Security and Defense Council was going to determine the first oligarchs by the end of May 2022, but due to the war, the creation of the register was postponed. In June, NSDC Secretary Aleksey Danilov told LIGA.net that a register of oligarchs “will be mandatory.”
- At the end of July 2022, Danilov announced 86 potential oligarchs. Then he clarifiedthat these people meet only one of the four criteria of an oligarch, they have not yet been tested for the other three.
- In January 2023, the head of the OP Yermak assured that “the register will be mandatory, but today there are other prioritieswhich have tighter time frames”.
See also: Danilov: After the war, Ukraine will be a completely different country, there will be no oligarchs
If you notice a spelling mistake, select it with the mouse and press Ctrl+Enter.