This was stated by the Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Ukraine in Lebanon during a briefing at the Media Center. Ihor Ostash.
“There is a criminal system that constantly transports stolen grain from Ukraine. It can be through Turkey, it can be directly to Syria, it can be to other countries of the Middle East. But this is such a criminal organization in which, of course, the Russians, the occupying Russian troops in Ukraine. Of course, mainly Syrian and Russian ships, and not only that,” Ostash said.
The ambassador emphasized that preventing the unloading of the Syrian ship Laodecia in Lebanon, which was carrying Ukrainian flour and barley stolen by the Russian Federation, is a great victory for Ukraine.
“I would like to emphasize that it was not Lebanon, it was not the state that ordered this flour and barley, it was an order from business structures,” Ostash added.
The ambassador also told what the country should do in case of such thefts.
“It is very important to refer to international maritime law. Because almost all the time, these vessels that are loaded in Crimea, that follow these criminal routes, they turn off their AIS, transponders, beacons, in order to be invisible, and this is already a signal to that there is illegal work, illegal business, there is an attempt to hide something, to avoid responsibility. Therefore, it is obvious that there is a proposal to seriously study all these rules that exist within the framework of the International Maritime Organization, in order to try to put certain obstacles here,” Ihor Ostash concluded.
- We will remind, on August 8, Lebanon refused to accept the grain sent by the first ship from the Ukrainian port.
- The day before, Western journalists reported the details of the “grain corridor” for Ukrainian grain.
- On August 7, the ambassador of Ukraine in Lebanon reported that the first ship with Ukrainian corn, which was supposed to enter the port of Tripoli in Lebanon, was delayed – we are waiting for the conclusion of the negotiation process in the business sphere.
- On August 2, the Ministry of Defense of Turkey confirmed the arrival of the RAZONI grain truck with Ukrainian grain.
- On the morning of August 1, the Minister of Infrastructure of Ukraine announced that the RAZONI ship had sailed from Odesa under the flag of Sierra Leone with 26,000 tons of Ukrainian corn.
- On July 22, an international agreement was signed in Istanbul on the unblocking of Ukrainian ports for the export of grain. Ukraine signed a document with Turkey and the UN. Russia also signed the mirror agreement.
Follow the events in Ukraine and the world together with Espresso! Subscribe to the Telegram channel: https://t.me/espresotb